Search

Fiber Insulation and Mold NOT A GOOD MIX!



Fiberglass Particles Can Harm Breathing Systems

Traditional home insulation includes fiberglass, a common plastic that contains resins and fibers. As a result, people who handle or are exposed to this insulation can breathe in tiny bits of glass.

After a while, those bits can get stuck in a person’s lungs, leading to respiratory ailments. Fiberglass exposure can also inflame the eyes and skin, making them itchy. Worse yet, it’s possible that this insulation contributes to various types of cancer.

Be aware that pieces of fiberglass can travel throughout a home via ducts that leak. Plus, resins can sometimes release trace quantities of vapors that are harmful to inhale. If your home’s insulation is exposed, consult a professional to adequately clean up and protect your home.

Mold can Grow on Insulation

As fiberglass insulation ages ― especially if it’s often exposed to moisture ― molds can grow. The presence of mold can lead to even more health issues, including wheezing, coughing and allergic reactions. Mold is particularly dangerous for anyone with a chronic lung condition.

Additionally, deteriorating insulation is less effective, and it may leave you at the mercy of cold drafts.

The dangers of fiberglass insulation greatly increase whenever you touch it, which you might do when you’re moving through a crawlspace or attic.Coming into contact with it can mean taking in a large number of fiberglass particles at once, which can make your nose bleed or your skin break out in a rash.

Avoiding the insulation is very difficult if you’re performing DIY maintenance on your home. Instead, consider hiring a professional contractor if you need to make large adjustments to insulated walls or repair damaged sections of your home.


#bloggingtips #WixBlog

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All